5 Reasons to Choose Bamboo Flooring
Posted by: Zack
Bamboo is climbing the list as a top building material in residential and commercial flooring. Bamboo is an excellent and highly regarded material for any room, it’s beautiful and is a comparable option for those seeking to choose a hardwood flooring alternative. If you haven’t considered bamboo flooring or were undecided, take into account the following reasons why bamboo flooring is best.
Bamboo is actually harder than most traditional woods, like maple and oak. Because of its unique composition, bamboo is considered stronger than some alloys of steel, mixtures of concrete, and graphite.
- Bamboo has no rays or knots, allowing it to withstand more stress throughout the length of each stalk
- Bamboo’s has better structural integrity than hardwood
- The high silica content in bamboo fibers means the material cannot be digested by termites
- Bamboo is better suited for gluing.
While the cost of bamboo flooring is comparable to hardwood, think long term, it won’t have to be re-stained or replaced like a traditional hardwood. This way you can consider it a long term investment and a yearly cost saver, making it a higher value than regular hardwood flooring.
It’s Better for the Environment
There are so many environmental reasons to choose bamboo flooring over other traditional materials. The greatest might just be saving trees, in 30 years time pine trees can produce 300 pounds of wood flooring while bamboo can make 5000 pounds, which is 15x more yield. For this reason it makes more sense to save our trees and use bamboo as an alternative. Saving trees saves animals, our nation’s forests and can impact our air quality significantly.
- Bamboo is clocked as the fastest growing plant on Earth. Some species have been measured to grow over 4 feet in 24 hours.
- A pole of bamboo can regenerate to its full mass in just six months!
Bamboo can be continuously re-harvested every 3 years, without causing damage to the plant system and surrounding environment.
- During the time it takes to regenerate, the bamboo plant’s root system stays intact so erosion is prevented.
- Continuous harvesting of this woody grass every 3-7 years actually improves the overall health of the plant.
Bamboo flooring is as easy to clean as any laminate flooring option. Regular sweeping and mopping will keep it clean, you can also polish it if you want it to shine. Because bamboo does not harbor dust mites it is the perfect option for families with allergies.
It’s Endless Options
Bamboo is perhaps one of the most versatile options you have when selecting flooring materials. It can be carbonized, which changes its color without chemicals or staining, so bamboo can take on an array of tones and colors while remaining environmentally friendly and healthy. It also comes in light and natural colors, you’ll find there is probably a style, texture, and color made to fit exactly with your room, there are hundreds to choose from.
To recap: Bamboo is a great alternative to hardwood flooring as it has many of the same properties and is considerably cheaper! Bamboo offers the durability and visual appeal that so many hardwood flooring options have. It is easy to clean and possesses many of the qualities that hardwood floors do, but it is also more water resistant! Stop by our showroom to view samples of bamboo flooring, call us at 410-552-6410 to discuss any flooring options, including bamboo and hardwood!